1. Today's Health Protection
- Stem cell therapy is now used every day. In fact, more than 8,000 transplants have already taken place.
- There are more than seventy diseases for which stem cells are used for treatment. This includes many leukemias, cancers, and metabolic diseases. A list of these diseases is available on this website.
- Stem cells are already being used to make new bladders, fingers, noses, and cartilage.
2. Tomorrow's Biologic Insurance
- The future is bright and exciting for cord blood stem cell use. There is research being done for virtually every major disease. Recently, Duke University infused a young boy with his own cord blood stem cells for the treatment of cerebral palsy. As shown in Dallas' video, his improvement was breath-taking. Within five days he was walking without a walker and speaking. According to his parents, a full cure is expected.
- Children with insulin dependent diabetes are being given stem cells to see if it will cure their diabetes. Early results appear to show a dramatic reduction in the amount of insulin necessary to control blood sugars.
- 60 Minutes documented the cure of a young man with severe Sickle Cell disease. Not only was he cured, but his blood type was changed.
- Because cord blood stem cells have proven ability to replace bone marrow, there is high expectation that diseases with a likely immune basis, such as Multiple Sclerosis, Crohn’s Disease, Lupus, and Rheumatoid Arthritis will soon see major therapeutic advancements.
- Collecting cord blood is essentially risk free. These stem cells are collected from the umbilical cord after the cord has been cut and your baby is in your arms.
- When needed, stem cell treatments take as little as fifteen minutes. For many, it requires only the placement of an intravenous line. The little boy noted above, who suffered from cerebral palsy, played with toys throughout his treatment
4. Family Protection
- Currently, the leading user of cord blood stem cells is not the baby whose cord blood was stored, but the baby’s sibling. This is the most obvious way to demonstrate that cord blood offers protection for the whole family. The closer the genetic relationship to the baby, the more likely these cells will be useful.
- Because cord blood collection occurs without any harm to the baby and because the cord blood would otherwise be thrown away, most people support this science with a clear conscious.
- The world’s major religions support the storage and use of umbilical cord stem cells.
- Conservative Republicans and liberal Democrats are both in favor of cord blood stem cell usage.